Thursday, February 02, 2006

Happy Groundhogs Day!
It is early Feburary and it has been unseasonably warm here in the Heartland. I have been running around without a coat, rolling the window in my car down, and smiling when my gas bill comes in the mail. My thoughts have turned to trout fishing a lot lately. In Colorado, winter fishing was a passion of mine. I enjoyed the solitude of it. Under the right conditions, the warmth of the afternoon sun would make me forget it was Janurary or Feburary. A midge hatch would bring the trout to the surface, and evidence of my terrible eyesight.
Here, in my new home, winter trout fishing take on a different skew. Being hundreds of feet above sea level as opposed to thousands, trout tend to act pretty much the same year round. I have to wear waders this time of year, but other than that, the same flies, tatics, and structures produce fish time and time again. The rivers are less crowded but sharing is still necessary, as the resources available are quite limited in preportion to the population. There are still some places where solitude can be found, especially on the weekdays. Maybe I'll sneak off in a couple of weeks and chase me a few McClouds.
*L*T*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home